Benefits of reading aloud to your child have been the topic of discussion for as long as we can remember. We’ve put together a list of the joys and benefits of reading aloud to your child to help you make time in your busy schedule for this wonderful activity.
Our Top Reasons for Reading Aloud to Your Child
In 1985, a landmark study was released highlighting the undeniable lifelong benefits of reading aloud to your child from the time they’re very little. The study, Becoming a Nation of Readers, states:
“Parents should read to preschool children and informally teach them about reading and writing. Reading to children, discussing stories and experiences with them, and with a light touch helping them learn letters, and words are practices that are consistently associated with eventual success in reading.”
Since then, many studies have been conducted and all have found that the benefits of reading aloud to your child are abundant. Jim Trelease, author of The Read-Aloud Handbook states:
“Every time you read to a child, you’re sending a “pleasure” message to the child’s brain, conditioning it to associate books and print with pleasure.”
We couldn’t agree more! With just 15 minutes a day, you can set your child on the path for a lifetime of discovery and growth. Try some of these easy ideas for incorporating reading aloud into your daily routine:
- Set aside a specific time each day or evening as your reading time. Just before naptime or bedtime may work well.
- Visit the library periodically and let your child help guide in choosing the books.
- Make your reading time cozy and cuddly. Reading and snuggles go well together.
- No time for the library or bookstore? No problem! Visit these websites for free printables:
Even picture books, that engage very young children begin to lay the foundation for lifelong readers. Discussing the pictures on each page and allowing your child to tell you what’s happening opens the door for young readers.
Beyond the incredible advantage children gather through becoming strong readers, as the parents or caregivers of children you get the joy of:
- Concentrated one-on-one time with your child
- Building a nurturing bond
- Snuggle time
- The knowledge that with minimal effort, you’re giving your child an incredible gift
Ultimately, the benefits of reading aloud to your child are for both of you. With a win-win like that, why not get started today?!
At Fusion Early Learning Preschool, our goal is to help each child become a strong and healthy learner in all areas of life! Contact us to learn more about our programs or to schedule a tour: (530) 923-7208.